Case Study: Asbestos Containment and Decontamination
Location: Dounreay Nuclear Power Facility
Client: UKAEA (now DSRL)
Asbestos management contract in support of ongoing decommissioning activities relating to the Dounreay Nuclear Power facility.
Scope of Work
Sureclean are the appointed onsite asbestos mangement contractor, responsible for providing the following services in support of UKAEA and other contractors during the ongoing decommissioning programme:
- Consultancy and training.
- Surveying and Sampling.
- Containment, removal and disposal.
- Permanent dedicated site team.
Challenges and considerations
- Heightened controls associated with working within a Nuclear establishment.
- Security restrictions,clearance for personnel.
- Programming and scheduling of works to meet the requirements of the overall programme.
- Working at height and confined space working.
- Building D1202 - removal of asbestos contaminated ceiling tiles and pipework insulation from the roof void space.
- Building D8521 - removal of licensed asbestos containing material (ACM's).
- Visitor Centre - removal of licensed asbestos containing material (ACM's).
- Viewfirth Centre - removal of licensed asbestos containing material (ACM's).
- DFR - removal of licensed asbestos containing material (ACM's).
- PFR - removal of licensed asbestos containing material (ACM's).
In addition to the aforementioned numerous minor asbestos related works were completed.
All works were undertaken in strict compliance with governing legislation, subjected to independent 3rd party audits (ARCA).
Response Time and the ability to project manage, resource and mobilise at short notice, this was only achieved by Sureclean having the foresight to get a number of personnel security cleared in advance.
Immediate isolation and containment of the affected area with minimum disruption to other operations.
Decontamination of affected area within short timescale, assistance given with regards task risk assessments and amendments to method statements to allow recommencement of the initial scope of work.
- Project completed in a controlled and professional manner without further safety or environmental incident.
- Project completed successfully within timeline and approved and signed off by both client and 3rd Party Analyst.
- Site Register Updated.
- Onsite Asbestos awareness training provided to UKAEA personnel.
- Face Fit Training provided.